Repairing a magnetic ballast

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve just opened up this magnetic ballast to see why it wasn’t working and I’ve noticed that where the wires are joined together it appears to be burnt out. I’ve attached a photo to this post

Does this mean one of the components has failed or can I just rewire it here? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

Reaction score
Those wires look seriously burnt. That generally means they were forced to carry a very high amperage for a long enough time to start melting and charring.

I would not rewire the unit. I would replace the unit, especially since one of the effected wires is tied to the capacitor. I would not like to see that capacitor explode on you.

How old is the unit? I see that it is a 50Hz unit, are you in a European country?

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
We have been snatching ballasts completely out as we convert to LED lighting. I would not bother replacing it.

Reaction score
Have to agree with all the above.
If you are dead set on keeping the tube, you might find an electronic starter that would give it a lease of life.
Without testing all the components, ballast, capacitor, glow? start you couldn't pin it down.
Personally, I would go over to LED, or you can get T8's or whatever in LED form and just get rid of the unused components.

Reaction score
I have replaced hundreds of ballast , down through the years . No one attempts to repair them .

Wyr
God bless

Ask a Question