Problem with a an endless/stripped screw

Reaction score
I have a problem with an endless screw. The video is self explanatory : the head of the screw is not broken, and I can make it turn. But the screw turns endless and doesn’t come out. And I do not have access to the other side. For information, I have tried the “rubber band” trick, but it didn’t work. The funny thing is that I have the same problem with the other screw on the electrical connector.

Has anyone got any idea on how I could remove this screw ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :).

Is there enough space to slip something thin (perhaps a blade) between the screw and socket? If you can lever it up as you're unscrewing it, that may do it.

I once had a similar problem with a stripped screw and ended up using a small neodymium magnet to pull and unscrew at the same time.

Reaction score
Either the screw is broken somewhere along its length or the male and/or female threads are stripped. If attaching the neodymium magnet to your screw driver doesn't work, how about adding a drop of epoxy to the head of the screw and then attach a wire, allowing you to pull it out when the epoxy dries.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Another option is to just remove the other screw and then remove the receptacle along with your problem screw.

Reaction score
Make sure there is not a nut on the back side of the casing. Sometimes they just use a nut and a screw and lock tight the nut to the screw.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
It is true that sometimes manufacturers use a machine screw and nut, but that is rare when there isn't access to the nut on the back. What may be more likely might be U or J Nuts, like those used when attaching auto body parts.

Ask a Question