Privacy fence

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but I would love you guys' help. My house is at a slope and at the bottom of the back yard, there is an in-ground pool. Recently, right next to the pool a house was built and my neighbours can now see right in the pool and it feels very uncomfortable. For this reason, I'd like to build some kind of privacy fence. Look at this, to get an idea of the situation:
01.png

Right next to the pool, there is a ledge without any railing (it was planned, but I didn't have enough money). Now instead of the railing, I would like the privacy fence. The main problem is, that in order for the neighbours not to see me swimming, the fence has to be ideally 7 or 8 feet tall. I thought of putting regular wooden panels (like the ones you make a fence with). Panel like these:
02.jpg

but I'm worried that the will not withstand the wind pressure and will, one day, fall down.
Now, I have solid steel poles, that were meant for the railing. They are only around 3 feet tall, but they are hollow, so I could stuff a 2by4 inside and extend the height. They also have a plate on the bottom, that would make it easy to attach to the ledge
03.png

To sum up...my current idea is to attach these metal poles, stuff them with 2by4s to achieve the desired height and then attach wood in between to create panels, like in the second image. Do you think it will be good enough privacy? and will it not fall down during thunderstorms, when the wind will be blasting at it?

Thanks for any comment :)

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

We had a 4ft concrete post and panel fence between our drive and the neighbouring semi.

Severak years ago they had a side extension built including a downstairs loo with a window almost opposite our kitchen window.

So I changed the 4ft fence panels for new ones so now the fence is 6ft tall with another foot of trellis.
(There may be restrictions on how tall a fence you can have, depending on where you live).

It just needed a bit of "fettling." It's been up for several years. The two mayleen clematis we have in tubs will cover the trellis by mid summer each year.
This is how it was a week ago.

P1030755.JPG

Ask a Question