Split rail fence to privacy fence

Reaction score
We have recently moved into a house that has a split rail fence, but we are trying to convert it to a privacy fence. The posts are pretty solid, but don't appear to be set in concrete. Posts are approximately 10.5 ft apart.

We are pretty sure that the best, and probably only, option is to completely remove the split rail fence and install new posts for the privacy fence. However we wanted to see if anyone knows of any way to convert split rail into a privacy.

The only thing we could think of would be to add another post in-between each current post to add some stability and to reduce the distance between posts. Then maybe put some horizontal boards up and add the individual fence pickets.

We considered hanging up some screening material, but decided that we probably need an actual 6ft tall closed fence.

Any clever ideas or workarounds for something like this?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
We will have 4 cats roaming around. Ideally, we would prefer to keep them inside the perimeter of the fence.

Reaction score
Well you just shot down my idea for a privacy fence made up ofGreen Giant Arborvitae. :D I think your going to have a problem. I have 2 cats that can clear our 4’ chain link easily.
Haha, not a bad idea though. I do like the idea of a natural fence. But I do agree that cats will find a way out eventually. Need to get me some cat handcuffs ;)

Ask a Question