patio jointing compound

Reaction score
Please help. After 2 attempts with brushing in dry mix mortar and 1 attempt wet mix mortar using correct ratio, sadly pointing still crumbling. Considering using Cementone. Gaps/joints are approx. 20mm wide and 25mm deep. Has any one used this or any other patio jointing compound.

Reaction score
Hi Mary
Yes, there are products available, but you really shouldn't be having problems using sand/cement mix. Please let us know exactly what the paving is, and what mix are you using ?

Reaction score
Hi John, thanks for message. Using correct mix, 4 to 1. Paving is Brett paving, Canterbury sett. (Old Cotswold) It has rivened edges, and the gap is quite wide and deep. I phoned Doves, we bought from there, and I phoned Brett this morning, both recommended Everbuild, Geo fix paving jointing compound. Its brushed in/on, firmed, then brushed again. We bought it and did it. It wasn't bad at all, clearing out previous stuff took the work and time. We shall see the outcome. There is a time limit to the workability of the compound, we were in time, as said, it wasn't a difficult task. We were told that due to the rivened edges of the pavings, a fairly new DIY bod would have difficulty and possibly require a tradesman to do this, Pity they dont say this in their ads for patio setts! However, they were extremely helpful on the telephone!
I shall see how it goes and come back to post re the finished job in a couple days when all hardened off. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Just for any one interested. The above compound was used for the patio and 98% of it seems to have worked well. Sadly, due to the scraping out of mortar mix that had to keep happening, to refill gaps, it seems we shifted some of the foundation (centre slabs on concrete sand with border slabs/blocks embedded in wet mortar) but we didn't realise this, until one area around one large and the corner of the small slab next, didn't take properly, compound started to lift. It hardened but still lifted/came away, so the joint wasn't 'real'. Upon very careful examination, we noted that the large slab, at one end/corner was no longer 100% level. So, YES the compound works, BUT the slabs MUST be completely level. Good luck.

Reaction score
Yes, there are products available, but you really shouldn't be having problems using sand/cement mix.

Reaction score
Thank you for posting. Whether or not we shouldn't have problems using sand/cement mix mortar, we have had problems. We are not DIY marvels but my husband was a surveyor, and whilst he hadn't worked with tools for many years, he still understood the principle. Me, I simply followed instructions - no matter, with shaped paving, large gaps, it has been a trouble, and we are no longer young.
The compound was good. As said, all paving MUST be level ad the gaps large enough to fill. Cheers.

Ask a Question