Patchy paintwork exterior house wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! We have renovated our house and knocked down a crumbly wooden lean to from the exterior of the house. The previous owners painted the wall in various places. We have had limited success in trying to remove the paint. Should we brave painting some or all of the wall? any ideas welcome! Many thanks!

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A good idea, however sand blasting will invariably damage either the bricks or pointing depending on their quality. Also the process in which you would have to protect your upvc windows and door from the sand would be difficult and time consuming. Being a qualified decorator I can also confIrm pressure washing will not work either.
the only fix you have available is a product called peel away, manufactured in Bristol by a company called barratine. This comes in two formats, so you will need a sample pot of both types to find which is more effective.
the consistency of peel away is a gel. Do not get it on your skin, it’s like acid. It won’t damage your brick work however.
the process is to liberally apply the gel to the brick substrate which is painted, ensuring every part of the brick including the pits and pointing Is covered. Once you have applied a thick coat of peel away to the painted areas, use the paper like material provided with the product and press it on to the gel, leaving no air pockets or exposed gel. The purpose of this is that the gel does not solidify or evaporate during the three to four days the gel is left to work Under the paper.
after this time when you manually peel the protective paper off, almost all of the paint will pull away with it. The small residual amounts can then be removed with a wallpaper steamer with the smallest directional nozzle or plate available, and a wire brush.
final job then is to use a plant spray can to spray the neutralising fluid provided on the areas you’ve success fully stripped.
if you look on the peel away website I think they have some subject case studies similar to yours. The product it self off memory is around sixty pounds. As the first gentleman above said, I would then jet was after all of the above. Also check you tube for more info.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m from the uk, so you may need to Amazon the purchase if this product is not available in the states. Failing that, I’m certain the us market has the same product, differently named.

Ask a Question