Painting over poster on the wall

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
The previous occupant of our bedroom stuck a big map of the world to the wall in a hideous beige colour that I want to paint over/get rid of.
It’s poster-like material and is kind of glossy, so I’m guessing too ‘slippery’ to just put paint over top. You’d also still see the edges of the poster I reckon.
The wall it’s attached to is made from Gyproc, so steaming it off is probably not the best idea? Or would that not be a problem because they put plaster over top? Does anyone have any tips? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Reaction score
Steaming may assist in getting the glue, what ever type it was to soften and allow you to get a scraper under? Try a boiling kettle spout to start with?

Another option??

Obliterate the image with one of the stain blockers? if it will take paint, if not a light sand paper over the entire image to assist with the paint adhering?

If it will not come off, and the re-paint only works partially, suggest a layer of thick lining paper then paint again with emulsion of choise preferably not white?

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Even if the paint sticks perfecly you'll still see the outline.

Almost certainly ditto even if you put lining paper up.

Remove it - it's unlikely that you'd need to use so much water or steam that you'd wreck the wall, as long as you're careful with the scraper.

Ask a Question