Old Velux Skylight - Condensation Run-Off

Reaction score
Hi.
I have two old (1993 or so) Velux fixed/non-opening skylights. When cleaning the glass on one I found that condensation was running down the inside of the glass and was starting to saturate the bottom frame. There was a gap (1/4" or so) between the top edge of the frame and the glass, with a strip of foam sealant in it. But the foam appeared to have failed as it didn't seem to seal the gap completely. So I dried the wood out and painted it with a water-proof coating. I then sealed the gap with silicone. The idea was that the wood frame would be protected from moisture and it could not seep down into that gap and cause further (unseen) damage. Then, working on the 2nd skylight that doesn't receive as much sunlight and was in much better shape, it looked to me like there was supposed to be a gap below the glass, and it made me think that perhaps moisture was supposed to escape through that gap to the outside. So I'm wondering if I have defeated a design to evacuate any moisture and I will end up with it dripping into the house. (The condensation is not frequent - the house is usually fairly dry.) Any thoughts on this? Should I remove the silicone? Thanks for any advice!

Ask a Question