House very cold

Reaction score
Country
United States
My house and floors are freezing. i currently have wood siding. Should I get vinyl siding instead or do one of these things recommended by contractor? He is definitely trustworthy just want to see what everyone thinks is the best option.

Insulate the basement ceiling:
Materials needed:
30 Rolls R-19 Faced Fiberglass
5 cans spray foam
3 Rolls seam tape
5 boxes staples.
6 tubes for caulk
So Materials alone are over $1100.
Then it’s time consuming. You have to slice around all the wires and pipes in the ceiling so it lays flat and you utilize the R value. If you stuff it and cram it in it does nothing. Before starting everything in the basement needs to be covered in plastic including appliances and furnaces. Then after it’s done there will be fiberglass pieces all over. The whole basement needs to be swept, Hepa Vacuumed and mopped. That stuff gets all over.
Would take 3-4 guys 3 days to finish then a clean up day.
So labor alone would be about $3000

There are interim controls that may help.
1. Foam filling all exterior penetrations
2. Filling the entire perimeter joist pockets above the block wall will R19
3. Cracking or redirecting both furnaces just slightly so it doesn’t affect heating the units so it heats the basement a little more.
May get a 10-15 degree heat rise in the basement once it reaches an equilibrium. Not ideal but improvement.
Still gotta clean up after. But maybe Labor and material $1500-1800.

Ask a Question