New owner, old house, no idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought my three bed last year, it's an 1890s house and I took a Lodger in who was with me for about 10 months.

He neglected to tell me that the room had a mold problem, I wiped the mold away and it hasn't returned, not sure why. I have experimented with the windows open and closed but nothing.

I have noticed the marks on the walls in the photos, I'm assuming this is damp, any advice to confirm if it is and what to do next would be appreciated.

Attachments

Reaction score
This is something you don’t want to be guessing at. For about $30 American you can get a descent hygrometer and see what the humidity in that room is. If it is high, you can get a dehumidifier.

Being that this is an older house I would also check the roof to be sure it is sealed properly and not letting rain come into the walls. Keep us posted on what you find for future reference.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I bought the below,

In the affected room it showing 60-64% humidity, I did have the property RICs checked when I purchased it, no issues with damp were found upstairs. Only a small issue downstairs. Do I purchase a humidifier and do I need to consider having someone inspect the property long term?

Reaction score
A dehumidifier not a humidifier! ;) My nonprofessional advice is - if you have children in the house have it inspected professionally. Mold and mildew can have long term disastrous effects on children. If it is just you, get the dehumidifier, wash the walls to remove all the mold and wait to see if it returns.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That does not look like a general dampness issue that a dehumidifier would fix. The sharp edges and dark colour would indicate to me you have a leak. Does the pattern change in shape or position and once it has dried out - does the dampness return to the same area?

Ask a Question