Deck Repairs - New home owner looking for advice

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought my first house, and still learning the ropes for some basic maintence. Looking for some advice on deck maintence.

My plan is sand / seal my very weathered deck. But there are a few boards that are in pretty rough shape from the years of neglect.

There are four problem areas I'd like to get opinions on whether or not the wood can be repaired. As I haven't worked with wood much (at all) I'm not sure how to identify what's fubar and what's salvagable.

Problem 1:
The end of this 2x6 started to break away / deteorate. Note: The rest of the board seems solid still.

Problem 2:
Similar as problem 1, but in the middle of the board. Note: The rest of the board seems solid still.

Problem 3:
This entire board looks very weathered and exposing the grain.

Problem 4:
This corner has started to break away.

If you suggest repair, can you point me toward a method of repair? I've looked up various wood fillers, and it looks like there are about 9 ways to skin this cat. However, I wasn't sure which one would be best for exterior / extensive mending

If you suggest replace, any tips on how to identify the wood type?
Thanks for any of the advice!

Link to images of problems:
http://imgur.com/a/4xHHD

Reaction score
I would replace all the deck boards. The boards are most likely southern yellow pine as this is the wood most commonly used for pressure treated lumber. You need to replace with either pressure treated or composite. Typically 5/4" x 6" (1" x 5 1/2" actual) is used on decks for the decking.

Irv

Reaction score
I agree, get a wrecking bar and remove all the boards. They're too far gone, and there's probably hidden damage as well. Wood fillers won't help.
If the decking touches the house in any way, I would - after removing the decking - check *very* carefully for insect damage to the house itself.

Ask a Question