Who is the oldest house owner/house painter in this forum?

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Who is the oldest house owner/house painter in this forum?
And who have the oldest hutch/ark in his house?

My grandfather gave me an ark that almost 150 years old.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'll own up to 73 years but still behave like a kid playing with my toys. We bought our first house 44 years ago so I've been maintaining ever since but not just with painting; our current home a detached bungalow we've worked on for the last 33 years having only just caught up with all the big heavy jobs. It would have been quicker for us to demolish the bungalow as soon as we moved in; we've done so much work from replacing foul drains to the chimney pot we even replaced the main bungalow roof and roof over the two roomed extension.

I've tried many brands of paint over the years mostly with disappointment the paint failing quickly due to our dire climate; about four years ago Shaw's started to import American Benjamin Moore paint; expensive enough to bring tears to the eyes but it's wonderful paint and still looks like new.

Benjamin Moore paint is water based and dries very quickly unlike oil based gloss paint which after the last brush coat was applied down came the rain to ruin it; Benjamin Moore paint dries so quickly it laughs at rain. I now use a Wooster Pelican paint kettle with brush and roller making life so much easier; with water based paint the kettle liner can be gently washed and reused many times; I bought an extra 12 liners and am still using the original liner.

https://benjaminmoorepaint.co.uk/about-us/shaw-paints/

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wooster-pelican-hand-held-paint-scuttle-0-95ltr/7132g

It makes me smile when I see DIY painters put in masses of preparation then slap on the cheapest paint which works out most expensive long term. Do the job with best quality materials and tools and do the job once.

Our softwood window frames are original from 1963 with just the double glazing units replaced by me a few years ago; the frames are still as new; I dislike plastic frames and wonder how all the plastic frames will be like after 50 years.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
I'm eighty now, I don't do decorating any more, not because I couldn't do it, but I've been able to afford to get someone in to do it for a few decades. In fact we go and stay at the Premier Inn a couple of hundred yards away, whenever it's being done.

But I still repair when necessary and repaint the woodwork in the garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm old fashioned being brought up to respect my elders so I'll have to watch what I say Doghouse. ;) ;) ;)

At the moment I'm still fine for all the jobs around home and garden but the time will come when I'll require help; until then I'm still up for a lot of grafting.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
I did hang the new curtains in five rooms last week including adding a few extra support brackets to some of the rails as the new curtains are far heavier than the ones they replaced. It wasn't too hard.

The Swish delux curtain rail has several bends in it including one of 90 degrees. They've been up over ten years, I bent them with careful use of a hot air gun. Really easy to do.

P1040506.JPG

The old ones didn't go to waste.
Some I used to attach over the bubble wrap that insulates the doors to the tea-house. I used others to make covers for my jukeboxes. The curtains are "thermal." I have 60w lamps burning in the bottom of each jukebox during the winter, to ward off the cold and any damp, as they don't like either.

P1040516.JPG

I can use a needle and thread.

P1040501.JPG

Ask a Question