new home - noises in the walls

Reaction score
We live in the SF Bay Area and moved into our new home 4 months ago (new construction). It has wood framing, with I beams, 3/4" in subfloor and insulation between interior floors. The noise occurs regardless of the exterior temperature and regardless of whether the AC or heat is on.

From day 1, we've heard occasional but very loud "pops" or "knocks" (usually in 2s - like someone cracking their knuckles but louder) in the living room, coming from somewhere inside the inside the wall behind our sofa. We don't see any cracks in the wall or ceiling; however, we have crown molding in the living area. The area where we hear the noise is also an exterior wall and directly above it is the master bath vanity.

The noise always seems to occur after one or both of us has taken a shower in the master bathroom - and we both like to take hot showers. Most of the time it will happen several hours after dinner. We'll be watching TV and all of a sudden we'll hear the knock-knock.

This evening, I was getting a shower and ran the water to let it warm up. When I came back into the bathroom, I heard the noise and I swear that I saw the drywall move behind the bath vanity. Interestingly, in the place where I thought I saw movement, there is a small gap starting between the granite backer trim piece and the drywall.

The house is under warranty so I can have the builder come back but if anyone can help me understand what this is, so that I can explain it to them (and not just say the house is possessed), I would greatly appreciate it.

Reaction score
These types of knocks happened when anybody uses the washroom on first floor basically as I assumed problem with the water pipes but I am not sure. Just to identify the issue call your builder and he will check why the pipe is vibrating by water pressure.

Ask a Question