Missing window key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a barn that was converted 17 years ago and there are no window keys anywhere! my insurance says i must be able to lock the windows and i have no clue how to replace the keys. Can anyone identify the type from attached photo ? Thank you :)

Attachments

Reaction score
Could I suggest that, you change the locks.

Your present locks are screwed on to the timber sashes, you could unscrew the old ones and fit new??

Can I also suggest, if you can fit two new locks per sash one near the top and one near the bottom

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's not a bad idea Ken! Probably a lot easier in the long run. thank you :)

Reaction score
The really simple way would to find a lock of similar [or slightly larger] dimensions to the ones already fitted, and swap them over, this will mask any timber and paint discrepancies showing where a new latch has been fitted.

OK fit one top and bottom of the sash, this will possibly mean that you are left with a mark or marks where the original latch was fitted ?

As an aside, if your Insurer needs to ask about the window sashes being locked, just tell them you have misplaced the keys and cannot locate them at present.

I do not understand why insurers are so insistent about such latches, and Bugler can simply smash a window and gain access, it appears to me like an old fashioned view on security??

Ken

Ask a Question