low frequency noise

Reaction score
Our neighbour has installed an oil boiler with the flue termination opposite our bedroom and lounge wall. It emits a low rumbling noise which resounds through out our home day and night while the boiler is running. According to the manufactureres recommendations the termination is to close to our boundary and building. The manufacturers state that sound must be considered when siting close to neighbouring properties. The sound is torturous and is destroying the quality of our lives.We have a verbal agreement negotiated by our M.P.and our neighbour that it does not run at night but that is not being kept to. We presume that the boiler is on a thermomstat as it is constantly cutting in and out. We have measurements from the Environmental Health but they say that an average person would not hear it.Our local Environment Health department do not take low frequency sound seroiusly.
We desparately need help in acquiring an independant low frequency sound check.
How to sound proof our bungalow against the sound effectivly and any help in living with this torture. We are being made ill by this sound and do not know how to live with it any longer.
Moving is not an option available to us due to the closeness of this problem.

Reaction score
noise

Hi.

Go back to your MP and pester him, that's what they are there for and why we pay our taxes for. Verbal agreements are not of any use. If you your MP agrees that the noise is intrusive (they're fence sitters so push him) and you have solid reading from EH to back this up then you should be able to get an injunction order as to limit the time of operation (give a little ground when i'ts bad weather as is now) Also: get your MP to write to the manufactures explaining the situation and also to ask if they would be prepared to send an engineer down to inspect the installation. After all, how do you know it was put in following their guide lines and if it was, then maybe there is something wrong and you could get help from them?.

I have been where you are with a young couple that moved in next door and went to town ripping thier house apart at all hours, all weekend over three years and with no thought whatsoevr to us.
I tried the 'Mr Nice guy' route which was ignored and so I turned to the usual goverement offices but we realy don't get that much support from our MP's and or council's on this.
It's nice quite now, though I can't put here how that came about but it was not the, 'Diplomatic' route.
Sad that it had to be that way
Bunsen.

Reaction score
Hi Lizbeth, we have EXACTLY the same problem... Have you found a solution? I'd be really interested to hear if you have!

Reaction score
Get on to your building control office and ask them if the regs have been broken and if there is any way can be applied retrospectively :)

Reaction score
How far is the flu from your building?: is it on the same wall ? Or just close by?.. it should not be near a window anyhoo re fumes .... There is soundproofing avail ...

Ask a Question