How to switch form line voltage thermostat to low voltage

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need help on how to install a new smart thermostat. Current thermostat is 120v. I have a heat only system. Do I need a new low voltage transformer and relay and where in the circuit do these get added.

Thank you,
JP

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So your existing thermostat ONLY has two wires? No more? Either way, I will draw it out for you....but I need to know what you have presently in the stat?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I forgot to ask in my original reply.....What type of smart stat are you planning on getting? NEST, Ecobee, ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was planning on the Amazon stat. I do not really need a smart stat for my system. Just looking for something programmable that I can control over Wi-Fi to keep the pets warm during cold snaps. I was also thinking to just settle for another 120v stat if this proves to difficult or expensive.

attached are images of stat and relay.
Thanks, AC

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like the system is set up as follows:
Load goes into a junction box
Out of that junction box
1 line to goes to emergency shut off switch
1 line to thermostat
1 line to the Aquastat

Out of the Aquastat
1 line to circulator pump
1 line to a relay box

Out of the relay box
1 line to the burner

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok, the pictures where of significant help. Your tracing the location/ID of the conductors was good too. Thank-You!

Unfortunately, for that thermostat, as you mentioned in your original post, you would in fact need a transformer and relay in/at your furnace location. I looked at NEST and Ecobee as well.....no go neither.

If you want, I can draw it out for you.....or, of course, you can go get another line voltage thermostat and be done with it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi AC,

a drawing would be great. Thanks.
Just not sure where to splice this in and what wire type to run to the new stat.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am drawing this up. I need one bit for information before I can draft this.

REASON: Some heating valves are "fail safe", that is, they fail open. So, in the case of a wiring failure (cable going to the valve is damaged), the valve fails OPEN, thus in heating as water is circulating through it's respective radiator.

I need to know if your heating system starts when the switchleg of the thermostat is energized OR de-energized?

You will need an extension cord for this. Please measure your two (2) wires for 120v-to-ground. Measure to ground in the extension cord, NOT the other conductor in the thermostat. The ground (in the extension cord) is the center lower U-shaped female port at the female end of the extension cord. You don't have a ground at the thermostat....hence, you've the extension cord so as to have a ground reference.

Tell me what happens to BOTH conductors when it's:
- Not heating....Is the black live? Is the white live? Both live?
- When heating...Is the black live? Is the white live? Both live?

You should use a meter for this, not an inductive no-contact "TICK" tester ("Google" it). REASON: "TICK" testers operate on the presence of induction, and they can produce horrible false-positives for results. I can use them, but a homeowner can get VERY confused by them for this application.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you the comprehensive approach to this. Right now I can say that the system starts when contact is being made at the thermostat. When I turn up the temp the metal outer plate in the stat closes to make contact and turns everything on. Not sure this is of any help. I will have to further test to see when and which lines are being powered.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok, well as you where able to explain it this well, that should be good enough. It appears your heating system starts (re-circ pump and burner) upon a CLOSED circuit (not fail-safe).

Let me draw this up....give me a few days.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. I really do appreciate you taking the time to assist me.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok, you'll see I've drawn the wiring needed for a new t-stat (Amazon is fine, but it's regardless).

The drawing is fundamental / concept only.

You would need AT LEAST three conductors, but 5 conductor is standard procedure, that is, #18 AWG - 5-wires/conductors. (Your US Home Depot Cat # = Model# 210-1005BR )

You'll need a 120-to-24 vac transformer, 40mA minimum (Home Depot = Model #AT72D, Store SKU = 977267)
You'll need a 24vac relay c/w at least one set of C, NO, NC contacts (form C). (Model LY2 - AC24 at an electrical wholesalers).
You'll need your new t-stat of course.

1673023573175.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is great thanks for taking the time out to help a stranger. You even provided the part numbers for the items needed. I’m going to review the drawing and then give it a go when I get back to the house next weekend.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Your Welcome....glad to help. It might appear daunting. I "pop in" to this website occasionally, so I'll notice if you have another question.

Ask a Question