looking for cheap easy fit internal door lock option

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently looking into options for installing internal door locks in a rented property. There are currently no locks on the bedroom doors and the handles are standard handles with no hole to use a key in.

Can anyone advise me what would be the most cost effective way to install internal door locks. I am not overly concerned with how secure they are, and as long as they can be locked from the outside there is no requirement to lock the door from the inside.

I have been looking at some of the Euro cylinder locks, but would I also need to purchase a latch with these?! As you might be able to tell I am very new to DIY so would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Reaction score
You have I would say 2 options.
1st. I assume you have mortice latches on the doors with lever/knob handles, you could change these latch units for 2 lever mortice sashlocks and put new sash handles on, fairly straight forward to do, utilising the same hole in the door for the handle spindle and enlarging the mortise for the lock case and cut out for a keyhole, so long as you are handle with a chisel etc.
2nd. You could fit mortice rack bolts with lock from 1 side only with a key and only require a 22mm hole in the door edge to fit.
the pattern os for the locks are sashlock union 2234 an the rack bolts are chubb 8002 although Yale do them now as well but not sure of the part number
kind regards
Gary

NWH

Reaction score
Hiya,
North West Hardware have some great options, varying in price. If you're not too bothered about the amount of security I would try the Privacy Lock Set (follow Locks - Timber Door Locks - and it's in there). It's only £12.50 and it seems ideal for what you are after.

Ask a Question