Light flickers with 3-way switch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have two 3-way switches controlling one light. I can successfully turn the light on with Switch 1.

If the light is on: The light will just flicker if I flip Switch 2 but it won't turn off.
If the light is off: Switch 2 does nothing at all. Can't turn the light on with Switch 2.

Can anyone tell by the wiring in the pictures if Switch 2 is even supposed to be able to turn the light on? I surmise that it is supposed to at least be able to turn it off. I would think that both switches should be able to turn the light on and off.

I tried switching the two red wires on Switch 2 but that didn't fix the problem. I tried putting the white wire on the darker screw and then the switch wouldn't do anything at all. Anyone have any other ideas?

FYI, I am installing new switches in the whole house. Switch 2 has been replaced, Switch 1 has not. The newly installed Switch 2 has the same configuration as the original Switch 2 (dark screw in same location). Everything lands in the same spot on the new Switch 2 as it did on the original Switch 2.

Lastly, as a side question.. None of the switches in the entire house has a ground wire attached. The switches don't even have a green screw on them. Considering these switches have been wired this way for 40 years and no one has ever gotten shocked or anything, I wasn't going to add ground wires to all the new switches. Does that sound stupid, or is it likely fine? I was fine just leaving all the switches alone but the wife wants white switches, not these ugly yellowed ones. Such is the way of a husband..

Switch 1.jpg
Switch 2.jpg

Reaction score
I can't speak to the wiring, but I don't see any ground wires that are typically uninsulated. I was going to comment that in the past I have seen where in a tight box, with lots of wires scrunched in, the ground sometimes just touched another conductor in the box. Just flicking the switch was enough to maybe make the wires move and caused some perplexing problems. Simple solution is to tape over any contact points on the switch. I do not suspect that is an issue here. Maybe the old switches have given up their useful life? Might be an easy, inexpensive fix to just change them out? I assume there is a ground to the metal box and then you could just connect a pig tail from the new switch to the box or better, the ground itself.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Bob. I did change out Switch 2, but I still need to change Switch 1. Maybe that will help, but Switch 2 seems to be the problem. I'll try that ground idea too. Appreciate the response.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have two 3-way switches controlling one light. I can successfully turn the light on with Switch 1.

If the light is on: The light will just flicker if I flip Switch 2 but it won't turn off.
If the light is off: Switch 2 does nothing at all. Can't turn the light on with Switch 2.

Can anyone tell by the wiring in the pictures if Switch 2 is even supposed to be able to turn the light on? I surmise that it is supposed to at least be able to turn it off. I would think that both switches should be able to turn the light on and off.

I tried switching the two red wires on Switch 2 but that didn't fix the problem. I tried putting the white wire on the darker screw and then the switch wouldn't do anything at all. Anyone have any other ideas?

FYI, I am installing new switches in the whole house. Switch 2 has been replaced, Switch 1 has not. The newly installed Switch 2 has the same configuration as the original Switch 2 (dark screw in same location). Everything lands in the same spot on the new Switch 2 as it did on the original Switch 2.

Lastly, as a side question.. None of the switches in the entire house has a ground wire attached. The switches don't even have a green screw on them. Considering these switches have been wired this way for 40 years and no one has ever gotten shocked or anything, I wasn't going to add ground wires to all the new switches. Does that sound stupid, or is it likely fine? I was fine just leaving all the switches alone but the wife wants white switches, not these ugly yellowed ones. Such is the way of a husband..

View attachment 4895View attachment 4896
You actually have two two way switches and an intermediate switch which is wired between the the two two way switches. The intermediate switch has four connections and it's purpose is to reverse the connection between the two two way switches.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You actually have two two way switches and an intermediate switch which is wired between the the two two way switches. The intermediate switch has four connections and it's purpose is to reverse the connection between the two two way switches.
Hi, thanks for the reply. The 2 switches I have shown circled in the pictures are on opposite sides of the room. Are you saying that the ones I have circled are two-way switches? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by intermediate switch.

Ask a Question