Kitchen plughole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

It appears that the seal has started to come away around my kitchen plug hole. Not sure if it's an easy fix or if anything to worry about.

Any advice would be appreciated as to how to fix.

Thanks

Attachments

Reaction score
If you look under the sink, you'll find a big nut that secures the inset plug hole to the bowl.

If there's a waste trap. Put a bowl under it unscrew that and remove it emptying the water into the bowl, (don't pour that down the sink!)
Don't lose the washer.
Unscrew the nut above the trap which connects the trap to the short waste pipe and pull the top half of the trap out of the way. There may be another washer. On some instalations this pipe is connected to the trap permanently.
You can then unscrew the nut that secures the inset plug hole to the sink and push it up into the bowl.
There should be a washer between the sink bowl and the plug hole unit. This what will likely have failed.
Take it to a plumber's wholesaler and ask them for a new washer.

You might need one of these to do the job. You can find them in any hardware store.

.jpg

The nut immediately below the sink is likely to be brass. The others are usually plastic so don't over tighten them, or you'll strip the threads.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

It appears that the seal has started to come away around my kitchen plug hole. Not sure if it's an easy fix or if anything to worry about.

Any advice would be appreciated as to how to fix.

Thanks
If you look under the sink, you'll find a big nut that secures the inset plug hole to the bowl.

If there's a waste trap. Put a bowl under it unscrew that and remove it emptying the water into the bowl, (don't pour that down the sink!)
Don't lose the washer.
Unscrew the nut above the trap which connects the trap to the short waste pipe and pull the top half of the trap out of the way. There may be another washer. On some instalations this pipe is connected to the trap permanently.
You can then unscrew the nut that secures the inset plug hole to the sink and push it up into the bowl.
There should be a washer between the sink bowl and the plug hole unit. This what will likely have failed.
Take it to a plumber's wholesaler and ask them for a new washer.

You might need one of these to do the job. You can find them in any hardware store.

View attachment 2469

The nut immediately below the sink is likely to be brass. The others are usually plastic so don't over tighten them, or you'll strip the threads.
Hi

Thanks so much for this. I'll have a go on my day off on a Friday.

Never done any sort of plumbing work before. Do you think its possible if I follow your instructions.?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Thanks so much for this. I'll have a go on my day off on a Friday.

Never done any sort of plumbing work before. Do you think its possible if I follow your instructions.?
Do I need to turn the water off?

Reaction score
Hi Barry,

No there's no need to turn off the water. Just don't tip any down the sink once you've staterd to disconect the waste pipe!
It would have been easier if you'd included a photo of what you have under the sink there are several different types of waste connections. The plastic nuts are often only needed to be little more than finger tight as they compress a seal, but these need to be sitting properly before you re-tighten them. Make sure there's no remains of a seal between the metal parts before you replace it with a new one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Barry,

No there's no need to turn off the water. Just don't tip any down the sink once you've staterd to disconect the waste pipe!
It would have been easier if you'd included a photo of what you have under the sink there are several different types of waste connections. The plastic nuts are often only needed to be little more than finger tight as they compress a seal, but these need to be sitting properly before you re-tighten them. Make sure there's no remains of a seal between the metal parts before you replace it with a new one.
I'll send you a photo of the under side of the sink when I get home. Will this start to leak if I leave it.?

Thanks again so much for your time and help on this.

Reaction score
I'll send you a photo of the under side of the sink when I get home. Will this start to leak if I leave it.?

Thanks again so much for your time and help on this.
Well it needs doing, just put a bowl under it and don't leave water in the sink until you can get round to doing it.

Reaction score
It's pretty straight forward, these plastic nuts will probably be only finger tight.
Unscrew the two either side of the bend and remove it.
Put a bowl underneath as there will be water in it.
Unscrew the other two, the one at the back and the one that connects to the overflow,
Remove that T-piece of pipe.
Don't lose any of the rubber seals and remember which belongs to whic.h
I should imagine the dome shaped bit to which the overflow was connected, will also now unscrew.
It also seems to have some sort of seal.
You should now be able to get at the nut now that secures the plug hole fixture.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's pretty straight forward, these plastic nuts will probably be only finger tight.
Unscrew the two either side of the bend and remove it.
Put a bowl underneath as there will be water in it.
Unscrew the other two, the one at the back and the one that connects to the overflow,
Remove that T-piece of pipe.
Don't lose any of the rubber seals and remember which belongs to whic.h
I should imagine the dome shaped bit to which the overflow was connected, will also now unscrew.
It also seems to have some sort of seal.
You should now be able to get at the nut now that secures the plug hole fixture.
I'm at this point now any ideas what to do next?

Attachments

Reaction score
I'm at this point now any ideas what to do next?

It's hard to see, but that metal ring at the top of the threaded bolt needs to be unscrewed to release the plug hole insert.

It looks a bit of a mess under there, as if it's been on and off a few times, by the state of the thread. I'd be tempted to replace the lot. It wouldn't cost much.
Take the plug hole insert and the photo in message #8 to a plumbers' wholesaler.
I don't like the look of that "yellow" stuff." It suggests to me that the seal of the overflow receptor is likely the cause of the leak. I'd replace it . It looks like this. It should only need that black seal to fit against the underside of the bowl to prevent water escaping. But the underside of the bowl will need a good clean up to make sure you get a tight seal.

s-l1000.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's hard to see, but that metal ring at the top of the threaded bolt needs to be unscrewed to release the plug hole insert.

It looks a bit of a mess under there, as if it's been on and off a few times, by the state of the thread. I'd be tempted to replace the lot. It wouldn't cost much.
Take the plug hole insert and the photo in message #8 to a plumbers' wholesaler.
I don't like the look of that "yellow" stuff." It suggests to me that the seal of the overflow receptor is likely the cause of the leak. I'd replace it . It looks like this. It should only need that black seal to fit against the underside of the bowl to prevent water escaping. But the underside of the bowl will need a good clean up to make sure you get a tight seal.

View attachment 2480
Thanks for all your advice on this but have called a plumber. Wasn't as straightforward as I thought.

Ask a Question