Kitchen lights burning out quickly

Reaction score
my bulbs seem to burn out quicker than they should someone suggested loose wire somewhere, how can I find that quickly?

Reaction score
I doubt loose wires will have any effect on the life of the bulb.

Using the wrong type bulb, the wrong size or type bulb will do it for you.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you're using incandescent or halogen bulb, you could try switching to LED bulbs. They should last much longer and the new ones are pretty good :).

Reaction score
LED is a very good replacement for several reasons - especially for fluorescent lights. The ballist and the bulb both build up heat. If there isn’t enough room in the fixture to dissipate the heat it can cause tube failure. There are no such problems with LEDs. They also save electricity.

Reaction score
One thought, in my kitchen I have (had) recessed old style lights. Old style that can not have insulation on top. So I had to have no insulation and the attic in my ranch obviously was open above the kitchen ceiling light cans. The cold air used to pour in around the non insulated fixtures. I think in the winter the heat from the bulbs and the cold air caused the bulbs to fail pretty quickly. The hot- cold on off caused too much stress on the bulbs. I was always replacing one of the 8 lights I have. A couple of years ago, I got some replacement LED fixtures that fit into the old cans. They can be insulated now and no more failures. And I really like the brightness of the LEDs. Anyway, one more idea

Reaction score
Ceiling fixture in my bedroom . . . 2 incandescent bulbs . . . The bulb on the right was always burning out after 2 months

- - - - - - - - - -

Could it be a cheap brand of bulb? - Probably not, it happened with two different brands (GE Reveal x 43W, Sylvania Halogen x 43W)

Could it be the fixture? - The tabs in the sockets bent down too much? - Probably not

It's on a dimmer. What if I replaced that with a switch? - Yes, this was it

I later got the idea to replace the bulbs with Ace Hardware LEDs x 9.5W, Soft White, non-dimmable

- - - - - - - - - -

I have 3 x 60W globe lights in my bathroom, on a dimmer. I wonder why those never burn out (rarely, like, one every 10 years), but one of the "A" type incandescents in the ceiling fixture was, after only 2 months?

- - - - - - - - - -

Tips for replacing a bulb:

1.) Lube - for easy install and later removal, coat threads on the base of the bulb with some bar soap

2.) Tightening a bulb . . . When you install a bulb, always do so with the light switch / power "on". As soon as the bulb comes on, only continue to turn the bulb one-eighth of a turn. If you screw the bulb in too tightly, you could flatten the brass tab

Reaction score
Just in case the asker of this question ever gets back, it would be interesting to know just what is meant by "burning out quicker than they should" Did they come with a guaranteed lifetime? As others have noted, it would be helpful to define what is meant by "bulb".
Assuming bulb equals a filament lamp, then likely causes are over-voltage or vibration, or just poor lamps.
Rough service lamps (filament) are designed for vibration etc. Dropping the voltage by 10% can double the lifetime of a filament lamp. A dimmer can help. "Loose wires somewhere"? Surely you would notice some flickering. Flickering would certainly reduce the service lifetime of a filament lamp by rapidly over-stressing the filament owing to expansion and contration.

Reaction score
Bad / loose neutral .

Buy 130 VAC lamps , if incandescents , vigration of the fixture // lamp .

Wyr
God bless

Ask a Question