Is this a good idea for custom shower walls?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I watched a video from https://www.stonecoatcountertops.com/shower-epoxy-page and they used foam board, and put an epoxy on top to mimic a marble slab for the shower wall. It looked really good but my question is, is foam board a good alternative for walls? My fear is it might me too brittle if something were to hit it and crush it easily. Has anyone seen or used this method? I was thinking maybe using the same method but using plywood instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IHNI

But I do know the following:

1. That video tells you SFA about how it is actually done.
  2. Incredibly difficult processes requiring real expertise can be made to look really easy to do when done by experienced people with masses of real expertise.

You could buy a small amount of resin mix and make some test panels using foam, plywood, tilebacker board, aluminium sheet, and see how robust they are and how easy the process is.

You could look at what core materials are used in commercial shower wall panel products.

One thing to think about is what happens to the core if water gets to it? Assume that you are never going to be able to guarantee a 0 % forever chance that water will ever seep in via holes made for pipes/taps/valves or through joints. So don't even consider MDF for example.

Ask a Question