Internal to External water supply

Mar 29, 2022
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am supplying water from my house to a building in my garden,
I have some piping called 22mm x 25m Polybutylene Layflat Pipe 22BPB-25C

The copper pipe in my house it will be running from is also 22mm, I am not sure what the wall bracket fixture I will need to join these two together is called, Please could someone help.

An example of the wall mounted bracket image has been attached.




Dec 19, 2010
Reaction score
What you are looking at in your photo is an elbow, not a bracket and poking out of the bottom is blue MDPE water pipe.
It is used often to bring mains water into houses from the water company main.
The "layflat" pipe you refer to is used inside properties instead of copper pipe.
The difference is that the blue and sometimes black pipe is designed for rugged external and underground use whereas the layflat is not.
It might work if it was laid in ducting.
I would just use the blue pipe.
BTW, the term layflat is also used for flexible hose that can be rolled up and is flat with no water in it.
The elbow is a compression type and one brand is Philmac.
It isn't good practice to have an unsupported pipe coming straight out of the wall, nor is it good to have it unprotected from frost, though that depends where you live.
To answer your question, I know that Philmac do fittings to join MDPE pipe to just about anything else.
If you use the layflat pipe, you need to ask the manufacturer (e.g. John Guest Speedfit) if their fittings are suitable for external use.
Remember that all metric pipe is measured on the external diameter.
One tip. Protect the joints with tape or even a plastic bag to keep grit out.
There is a delicate "O" ring seal and sometimes you won't be able to get the fitting apart if it gets crud in it.
Another tip, don't use a hacksaw to cut either type of pipe. Use the proper pipe cutter.
The jagged hacksaw cut can ruin the fitting seal.
You might get away with using layflat, but I wouldn't recommend it.
You can use either type of pipe with conventional brass compression fittings, but you need to use an insert in the pipe to take the force of the fitting when tightened.

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question