Installing shelves in sandstone recess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Does anyone have any advice for how to approach this job. I need to even out the base somehow as it's uneven stone. I then need to fit shelves in the recess which is uneven stone on all sides. See attached picture.

Many thanks.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not sure if this any help but we have similar alcoves in our 1800s property. I have attached an image of what was done some time ago. Its not the tidiest and no idea who did it as we haven't been here long. I believe in these old properties they used to knock a wood wedge into the stone wall between the stones when they wanted to hang anything up. Do you not think the unevenness adds character as nothing is straight in older properties

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you're ok with drilling holes, I'd install some floating shelf brackets then build some custom shelves that would slide over the brackets. If you're not ok with drilling holes in it, your best bet may be to just build something with a shelf, or two, on it and just place that into your recess.

Ask a Question