Inexperienced Drywall Ceiling Repairs

S

steve.battisti

Hello all, I’m trying to tackle a ceiling drywall repair project, but I’m not very knowledgeable about such things.

I found a great video on YouTube. That seems to walk me through everything I need to know for this sort of repair, including the concept of furring strips. But in the video I watched, it’s a relatively small hole being patched. I need to repair an area that is approximately 4' x 2'.

A few questions:
  1. I have in my possession two 2'x2' pieces of drywall. Is it reasonable think I can attempt this repair by installing two separate pieces of drywall? Or do I need to find a 4'x2' piece? (My preference is to use the drywall I have, because to get a 4'x2' piece I'll have to buy an entire sheet of drywall, and have absolutely no need for all of that drywall. I've lived here for 5 years and this is the first time I've needed drywall.)
  2. If it's reasonable to try this, I'm a little unclear where to put the furring strips when I'm putting in the first piece of drywall, since there will be empty space on one of the sides where I was planning on putting a furring strip. Is it enough to install the furring strip across the opening and only secure it on either end?
Advice greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Attachments

Ask a Question