Identifying wires on three way switch

Reaction score
Country
United States
FYI --- This is a U.S. installation. I'm replacing a three way switch (the UK might more sensibly call it a two way switch??) with a Kasa Smart Switch. See the picture. I'm trying to identify the line (power) and two traveler wires, and this particular switch doesn't look what I've normally seen from other pictures and diagrams I've been researching. Be advised this switch doesn't have a ground attached, but there is a bundle of exposed copper wires in the electrical box. There is also a bundle of gray (not white) wires in the elecrical box I will assume are neutral wires. Questions:

1. There is a red wire, and beneath it a black wire. Are those the traveler wires?
  2. There is a black wire that is underneath the copper ground wire screw. Is this the line/ power wire?
  3. Also, I assume this is a quick release wire switch setup. There's probably a little notch somewhere on this switch where I can remove the wires?
Thank you.
1696095873088.png

Last edited:

Ask a Question