Help identifying loose insulation material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm struggling to identify the some insulation that is falling into our utility. Had quite a bit today as it is windy and we're having a flatroof next to it replaced which is allowing more airflow. I'd never worried about it being asbestos before because I didn't think it would look like this, but given the amount and my lack of expertise I hoped someone could enlighten me?

I'd seen small amounts before and assumed it was fibreglass as it is very white but given the amount I've done some checking around and I haven't been able to find something describing it. It doesn't reflect light, breaks up into smaller pieces/tiny particles with the slightest touch, and either came as larger pieces or it clumps. It's incredibly light; I'm sure I couldn't feel it if the couple of CM square piece below was on my hand.

IMG_0676.JPG

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Reaction score
I am no expert so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. If the stuff was installed before the 70's or early 80's its possibly asbestos. After that, most likely not. Could be some sort of cellulous. See how it reacts to an open flame. Could be rock wool which was used 60-70 or more years ago, then sort of lost favor when fiberglass took hold. But it has starting to come back so you might see it here and there. It looks like what most folks would expect for asbestos.

Ask a Question