HP Printer Died

Reaction score
Hi,

This seems a general-purpose thread, so I apologise if it is not the best home for this post.

My HP Deskjet5552 died and seems to have no power - no lights come on and the usual high-pitched whistle is absent. The PSU is providing its 30V and I have traced this to the first PCB which contains the internal regulators. I can't make a lot of sense of the PCB because it is multilayer and populated largely with SMCs, but there are three electrolytics rated 330uF @ 6.3V which I would expect to be the smoothing caps for the logic supply. These show no stable voltage when the machine is connected to the mains. Might there be a simple VR fault? There is also a larger 470uF @ 50V cap which has a nice smooth 30.5V, so the power is at least making it on to the PCB.

If anyone has experience of repairing these devices, or can recommend anywhere else I could look for advice, I would be very grateful.

Simon.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Simon, welcome to the forums :). This sounds like you'll need someone with quite a bit of electronics knowledge, which may be beyond the scope of this DIY site - it might be worth posting your question on www.electronicspoint.com in the repair section. There are lots of electronics experts there and I'm sure they'll be able to sort it.

Good luck :)

Reaction score
Admin - I will try electronicspoint, and thanks very much for the suggestion.
Patan - that was my first attempt at a repair.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Printer

Bin it and Get an Epson I use one with compatable ink cartridges at £ 1 each--- H.P ink is sometimes as much as a new Printer .
handydanny

Reaction score
I'm not keen on the HP's either, but that's just me.

If your getting 30.5v somewhere then the bridge rectifier is fine, and the transformer (these would be the first 2 things to check). These PSUs are all switch modes so it's most the likely the control IC or a transistor. The transitors usually crack when they die on PSUs.

You'll just have to work through it with a multimeter. Personally I'd pick up another on ebay, should be plenty as the printers die before the PSUs normally.

Ask a Question