Save by filling the cartridges of your HP printer (DIY)

Reaction score
An alternative to buying an ink cartridge (about 20 euros) each time it runs out is to make an ink refill. The truth is that it is very simple and you can save a lot of money, in this case for only 9 euros we can fill up to 14 times the cartridge equivalent to 20 euros for 14 that would be 280 euros a spectacular savings without a doubt.

Here you have the video where it shows how simple it is:

However, it is necessary to specify some extremes:

1) The cartridge that we fill must be the original of HP and not be too dry since they have been able to permanently obstruct the ink ducts to the head.
2) The printer will continue saying that the cartridge is empty, according to its logic the cartridge can not be filled, but I have verified that it works without problems
3) I do not know how long the cartridge head will last in the process, but if it lasts only one we have already amortized and saved on our investment.
4) It is convenient to clean everything with hot water so that the needle and syringes are clean for a next use
5) It is not advisable to wait until the cartridge has been emptied, but at the smallest printing symptom with faults, re-fill.
6) We can not leave the link to advertise any brand but on the internet it is easy to find many manufacturers
7) Try not to touch the contacts of the cartridge, if the printer does not recognize it, try to clean it with a clean cloth with some alcohol.

Reaction score
Thanks for that.
This was a popular way of filling cartridges nearly years ago, in the days of multi-coloured ones.
So might be of interest to some.

I think some later models had a membrane between the colours rather than a solid plastic divider so it was possible to get a bleed between the colours when you refilled them. I used to have the hypodermics and the bottles of ink But I no longer bother.
My current printer is an Epson Photo RX620 which is getting a bit long in the tooth. But still working fine. I buy my cartridges from a cartridge supplier of all makes. I think they are about £13 for the set of six. They often do a deal where you get an extra black free. But I e-mail them, as a regular customer and they let me choose which colours want. I don't use a lot of black. At that price it isn't worth me bothering with hypodermics.

Epson have something built into the printer that after so much use it tells you "it's beyond its useful life" or something similar and it stops working. But you can outsmart it by turning it off. holding down the stop and black & white button at the same time, then turning it back on and it re-sets itself. I think it's about a precaution so that the waste iink reservoir doesn't overflow.
But if like me you don't use the printer too much, in a warm room much of the waste ink probabably evaporates.

Ask a Question