How to remove this piece of trim?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have to replace my trash compactor and the only thing between it and freedom is this top piece of trim. I am thinking I will need to put it back after new one goes in so don't want to mangle it too badly.

Would you use a hammer end to pry it off? It looks nailed in from the bottom to the top.

Reaction score
I don't know how much is your new compactor, but what I appear to be looking at is an inexpensive frame made from four pieces of wood.
Now this could have been assembled in several different ways, including nails and screws.

Are you saying the old unit won't slide out just because the top rail is in the way?

I'd just rip it out, take out the old unit, put in the new unit and make a complete new frame. Shouldn't cost much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
yes it's just the one piece. There's enough room on the sides to slide it out. The issue is there isn't a lot of room between the compactor and this trim piece - so am trying to think of the best way to pry it off.

Reaction score
I can't see the bottom. Is there a matching piece of wood?
If so, it's likely that it's a one piece frame and it went in went in as a complete unit once the compactor was fitted. Was there a door in the front used to hide it?
It looks like there's a set of drawers to the left. Take them out and see what you can see to the side. There may be just a couple of fixings, top and bottom of both sides.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well it wasn’t pretty but I got the piece out. I drilled holes through the wood in a row and broke the piece in two. Tapped one severed end with a screw driver and hammer until the opposite end popped out and then pulled each piece out with some pliers. the compactor rolled right out and I rolled the other one in after sliding it across the kitchen on a beach towel. Now just have to get a new trim piece cut the right size. Maybe I’ll glue it in and make it a tad thinner and the compactor will slide out without all this effort if need be in the future!

Attachments

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Well it wasn’t pretty but I got the piece out. I drilled holes through the wood in a row and broke the piece in two. Tapped one severed end with a screw driver and hammer until the opposite end popped out and then pulled each piece out with some pliers. the compactor rolled right out and I rolled the other one in after sliding it across the kitchen on a beach towel. Now just have to get a new trim piece cut the right size. Maybe I’ll glue it in and make it a tad thinner and the compactor will slide out without all this effort if need be in the future!
Well done!

Yes, glueing is the best Idea. You can wedge it up against the worktop with some card between the compactor and the worktop until the glue sets.

Ask a Question