How should builders manage this gap above bifolds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping for some advice about how best to deal with larger-than-expected gaps around bifold doors. Our builders initially fitted the doors too high, so once they had been refitted, a gap of almost 3 inches was left at the top. Unfortunately, they had made the horizontal space for the door too narrow as well, so they had to chisel away at the sides which left gaps there too. They have filled the gaps with filler so far as shown on the photos.

Unfortunately, this build has been problematic throughout to the extent that I have been fobbed off several times and been told something is 'ok' when in fact, it isn't. Added to this the owner of the building company is unfortunately now very unwell in hospital so his son is filling in. His son is visiting us tomorrow to go over outstanding parts of the build, including rendering over this gap, and I would really like to understand how a gap like this should be dealt with so that I have a fighting chance of not being fobbed off again due to my own inexperience.

Any thoughts would be really helpful.

Thank you

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would suggest aluminum flashing (preferably black to match the window/door frame) be used to bridge the gap/s from the new door frame to the surrounding brick. Exterior flashing contractors have on-site breaks/benders/cutters to form aluminum to various shapes, cut it to length, and install it. It's really quite easy....you just need the exterior siding/flashing contractor with the equipment.

Ask a Question