Humidifier drain has no trap and connects to sump pump well... should I be worried about Radon?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a whole house humidifier installed on my HVAC unit. The humidifier is a forced air system with a water panel (evaporative). So, it has a drain at the bottom of the water panel to drain away excess water that drips off the bottom. The PVC drain pipe for the humidifier was connected into the existing condensate drain for my HVAC unit (see first pic). This drain pipe eventually drains into the sump pump well (see second pic). My sump pump well has a black cover and a large PVC Radon gas vent that goes up and out the roof of the house (to protect against any ground radon coming up through the sump pump well). Here is my concern... I believe the humidifier drain line was placed on the wrong side of the p-trap. So, there is no trap between my humidifier and the sump pump well where Radon can enter. So, I'm thinking.. if I get any Radon gas in my sump pump well, some of it can travel up the drain line, into my humidifier, and be blown throughout my house in the HVAC ducts. Is this humidifier drain installation correct? Should I be worried?

Extra credit question: There are 4 PVC pumps in the sump pump well cover (see second pic). (1) The left-most is my HVAC and humidifier drain, (2) the next is the sump pump exit for pumping water out of the well to outside the house, (3) this PVC pipe leads upstairs somewhere, but I don't know where or why, and (4) the larger PVC pipe which is the Radon gas vent to the roof. What is that third PVC pipe doing?

IMG-2062.jpg
IMG-2061.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Your humidifier drain line does not discharge black water, nor has it enough velocity to empty the adjacent trap. The only fumes that would migrate back up into the humidifier compartment is those of the sump pit. While not necessarily pleasant to smell, their not foul like that of sewer gas. So, if you haven't noticed any "sump-pit" like smells from the general area of the humidifier, don't worry about it.

Pipe #3 (in your drawing) could be the condensate drain for the A-coil in your evaporator coil (part of your home's air conditioning). Trace that pipe back and see if it goes into the plenum above your furnaces heat exchanger, if so, it's your condensate drain. These A-coil sweat when in use, and upon AC compressor "pumpdown", they will melt any ice, thus producing water.

Ask a Question