How safe are hairline ceiling cracks?

Reaction score
I stripped back the ceiling paper in one of the rooms in our new house we are decorating, and the plaster is old lime & horsehair. The house is 1940s.

The ceiling is in good condition apart from a few hair line cracks. Obviously the plaster is old so I guess that's to be expected.

I was wondering how safe the plaster is expected to be if it has hair line cracks?

As I say it's in good condition apart from that, but we'd ideally like to paint over it now the paper is off.
I just don't know whether it's going to be a problem later in down the line.

Cheers.

Reaction score
That stuff typically comes down in pieces over time. I would replace anything with hair in it ASAP. That stuff is nasty. I've pulled it out of entire houses and it just stinks so bad and makes a horrible mess. Plus its really heavy most of the time compared to modern drywall. I can't say I'm a big fan of plaster in general though. I'll certainly never build with it.

Reaction score
Do what all the locals do and hang a drop ceiling from it and add more weight.
But really, if a coat of paint will do it some justice and it doesn't fall off , flake, etc while your painting it, then it may be rugged enough to get you by for a while maybe many years.
It may be a good idea to tackle your projects one room at a time when you can if you plan on a remodel. I think you will get a feel for how strong the ceiling is by applying some pressure with a paint roller, you could even start of dry just to give it a press test and watch for movement

Ask a Question