Are these posts/studs safe to remove?

Reaction score
Hello!

I've seen a few similar posts to this but I'm a newby and wanted to get some feedback for my own specific situation.

I want to remove the top part of the wall that separates a big 2-level closet from the rest of the room, to provide easier access to the upper storage area. Having removed a section of drywall, I've found a few studs/posts which I would like to remove. I've indicated them in order of priority: 1 most important to remove, 3 least important. I assume a similar arrangement of studs/posts exists on the right-hand side of the opening. Can you tell me if this is safe to do? I live on the top floor of a triplex in Montreal built around 1900.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy.
closetWallLS_marked.jpg
closetWallCU_marked.jpg

Reaction score
The joists in the ceiling are running perpendicular to the closet wall, not parallel. I'm told this is not good news...

Reaction score
What is going on the floor directly below? Does the front wall sit directly above a wall below, or does the back wall of the closet it’s on the wall? A bearing wall would be continuous all the way to the foundation. A partion wall typically would not. This is assuming someone did not illeagally remove a bearing wall below you. Is the back wall of the closet an exterior wall? It would very odd (not impossible) that both the front and back walls would be load bearing if the back of the closet is an exterior wall.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Herrick!

No the back wall is not an exterior wall, and I don't know whether either of these walls continue on the floor below.

I actually cut a hole in the ceiling and explored a bit more, and it turns out what I thought were joists were actually just shallow "ceiling strapping" affixed below the joists; the actual joists are, in fact, parallel to the closet wall. Based on feedback from other forums, I took this as a sign that it's ok to knock down that wall. In the end, I only took out the stud marked "PRIO 1", and the equivalent post on the other side. And the house is still standing!

Thanks again for your response,

Jeremy.

Ask a Question