Anchoring ceiling to floor support posts for new kitchen reno

Reaction score
Planning to renovate the small galley kitchen in our single floor home. The major part of the reno involves blowing out an 10 foot wall that separates the kitchen from an open area behind, which lead to the house's front entrance way.

So before taking out the wall, what I am planning to do is build a ~3 foot by 6 foot 2x4 framed island in place immediately behind the wall to be removed. I will anchor the island at the 4 corners with 4x4 posts from floor to ceiling joist. Immediately below where the island will be located, in the basement, on one side is one of the house's two 8x8 support beams, and on the other side is the wall of a pantry I put up myself, reinforcing it at the time of building it with the idea that it would need to support loading from above when the time arrived to reno the kitchen. So there should be no issue with loading when I remove the wall.

My question is, to place the (4) 4x4 support beams around the island, I am planning to first cutaway a 4x4 portion of the ceiling tiles to the joist and use (2) floor jacks in each location, one location at a time, to incrementally jack up the ceiling joist a small amount over the course of a week or so. I will then slide the 4x4 post into place and let the joist down to rest on the 4x4 post. I will then affix the post to the joist with additional support between adjacent joists in the ceiling for maximum stability.

But I am unsure how I should tack the 4x4 posts to the floor. Should I also plan to cutaway a ~4x4 hole down to the support beam and the top sill of the pantry wall below in the basement and affix the posts directly through the floor? Or would it suffice to use a metal base plate for each post, holding the post base in place on the floor, and screwing down into the floor with (4) lag bolts (probably 1/4" lags) to anchor the base plate?

If anyone has any suggestions or advice regarding my plan I would welcome the opportunity to read them.

Ask a Question