Anchoring Greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need advice please. I have just erected a hexagonal greenhouse on York stone slabs. I am trying to anchor it but cannot make any impression on the stone with a tungsten carbide drill bit. I am using a heavy drill on speed setting 2. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Andy.

Reaction score
Hi Andy and welcome.

We have a crazy York stone patio and with my old Black and Decker drill, on the hammer setting with a decent bit, it's like a knife through butter. Concrete fence posts don't give it much trouble either.

Reaction score
Mind you don't shatter the stones on hammer setting.
It usually pays to start with a small diameter e.g. 5-mm new carbide bit and work up with larger drills.
Really tough stuff might need diamond tipped drill - I use these for glass.
Both diamond and carbide bits need to be kept cool with water, diamond more so.
You can use a variety of fixings, but given the strength of winter winds, I might opt for a sleeve anchor in stainless steel.
Alternatively, if there is any risk of an expanding anchor fracturing the stone, use a chemical fixing which in its basic form is a tight fitting threaded stud and an adhesive resin glue. Look up Fischer fixings as a typical brand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You need a SDS plus hammer drill, with an energy rating of at least a few joules per hammer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I had similar problems with my greenhouse . I'd used a row of class 1 engineering bricks and aimed to put a nice slim concrete screw in with a multi purpose drill bit so I didn't shatter the brick with a hammer action. These good quality bits are excellent but hardly scratched the surface this time whereas a good hammer bit went in real easy. Sds is better but my little makita sds batteries have both packed up on me. I find putting a bit of weight behind the hammer action helps but don't let the drill labour and as already said start small and enlarge the holes. Once to depth enlarging is usually a doddle. Good luck

Ask a Question