Ceiling light cable safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20191114_203120.jpg

Hi everyone! I'm looking at updating the fixtures and fittings in my house but I've come across this ceiling light fixture and I'm unsure if it's even safe as I haven't seen it before and the house has various questionable cabling.

Im looking to change it to another metallic fixture but I'm unsure of the safety of it.

Im also looking at changing some light switches to metallic ones from plastic but have found just 2 red cables and no earth cable, so I'm presuming this is a definately no no, but is a plastic switch safe without an earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Jonny
This looks a bit messy. I would switch the main power switch off and cut back the cable slightly to check the general state of it. Those un-insulated earths look very close to the live an neutral conductors. It is a shame when there is a feed for a second appliance up in the light as things get very messy and cluttered. I am surprised that no earth cable can be found at the light switch? Only metal switches will conduct electricity thus could prove fatal if not earthed However, the plastic switches also have an earthing point on the metal back plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Jonny
This looks a bit messy. I would switch the main power switch off and cut back the cable slightly to check the general state of it. Those un-insulated earths look very close to the live an neutral conductors. It is a shame when there is a feed for a second appliance up in the light as things get very messy and cluttered. I am surprised that no earth cable can be found at the light switch? Only metal switches will conduct electricity thus could prove fatal if not earthed However, the plastic switches also have an earthing point on the metal back plate
Does it look compatable to be used in a new ceiling light? I'm completely new to light fixtures and it does look a bit old or bodged. Just checking it would be fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a live, neutral and earth wire so yes it should be Ok but check the state of the wiring and insulation. When you get a light switch off the power remove the old and try to tidy the wiring up and make sure you purchase some insulation sheath for the earthing wires. Unfortunately you will need to retain the 2 x of each of the conductors as one of them is feeding something else. The only way to be totally sure it is electrically safe is to get an electrician to perform an electrical safety test, so if you when you cut back the old wires and the insulation looks crumbly or rips easily you will probably need to call someone in.

Ask a Question