Help with patio bartop- suspended installation

Reaction score
I'm building a bartop for a covered patio. I want to install the bartop- suspended, between two 4x4 post (covered in 3/4" cedar) The spaced between the two post is 84.5".
The bartop is 16" x 96", made of two 3/4" plywood pieces glued & screwed together with 1/2" lamenate wood flooring glued on top. So total thickness of the bartop is 2". I have not done anything for ridgitity, nor any edge finishing.
My question- How should I mount the bartop without using any legs?
(no, there won't be any dancers using it)
I'm considered using 4 medal "L" brackets ( 2 inside the length & 2 supporting the width) then encasing them with a decorative piece routered to the thickness & width of the brackets.

I would like some suggestions that will give good support and a pleasing appearence.
My woodworking skills are competent level or better, not an expert- I can daddo, router, etc.
I do not own a Kreg tool... yet.

Reaction score
I would go the route of using the metal brackets. My suggestion though would be to get some good thick ones. 1/4" Thick at least, for good strength when It leaned on. If you can't find something like that, see if you can get in touch with a welder to fabricate something for you. You don't want to have to go back an fix it with something stronger down the road. My In-laws did the L brackets, that's why I know it'll work. I hope that helps.

You could also try putting a couple thinner brackets together to make up a thicker bracket. And definitely route out a grove for the bracket to set up in.

Ask a Question