HELP!! Matt over silk and gloss NIGHTMARE!!

MJK

Reaction score
So, painted the skirting boards in gloss and the roof in silk emulsion prior to the walls being painted as they were newly plastered and was a waiting for them to dry out. Have since mist coated the walls a couple of times and yesterday applied the first coat of what will be the final colour on the wall. Used a good dulux matt emulsion but at the top where the wall meets the coving and at the bottom where the wall meets the gloss skirts the matt emulsion hasn't taken too well.

In the process of doing the skirts and coving the paint has got onto the walls slightly and the matt emulsion sort of sits on top and doesn't seem to take the paint.
Now I have only done one wall but imagine the others will be the same. So my question is what next? Do I get a second coat of the matt emulsion on in the hope it'll go and eventually disappear or do I do something else, on the wall I've done but especially on the remaining three walls? As you can imagine really annoyed about this as spent time and money trying to sort and really disappointed with how it looks.
Needless to say I am a new diy'er and am learning the hard way on every job.
Any advice would be great fully received. Thanks

Reaction score
So, painted the skirting boards in gloss and the roof in silk emulsion prior to the walls being painted as they were newly plastered and was a waiting for them to dry out. Have since mist coated the walls a couple of times and yesterday applied the first coat of what will be the final colour on the wall. Used a good dulux matt emulsion but at the top where the wall meets the coving and at the bottom where the wall meets the gloss skirts the matt emulsion hasn't taken too well.

In the process of doing the skirts and coving the paint has got onto the walls slightly and the matt emulsion sort of sits on top and doesn't seem to take the paint.
Now I have only done one wall but imagine the others will be the same. So my question is what next? Do I get a second coat of the matt emulsion on in the hope it'll go and eventually disappear or do I do something else, on the wall I've done but especially on the remaining three walls? As you can imagine really annoyed about this as spent time and money trying to sort and really disappointed with how it looks.
Needless to say I am a new diy'er and am learning the hard way on every job.
Any advice would be great fully received. Thanks
Your problem has a simple solution the areas you mentioned can be fixed by using a primer/sealer and repainting.

Ask a Question