Good Quality Rotary Rasp Set

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on the lookout for a rotary rasp set - something that I can quickly use in my drill to widen holes in 6mm plywood sheet. I found this little set on Toolstation for a few quid, but the reviews suggest that they might not last very long:

I'm going to order them anyway as they're only a few quid, but I'd be keen to know if anyone has recommendations for a good quality set?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made the holes already (ranging from 15mm to 32mm), but I needed to widen them ever so slightly (under 0.5mm) to fit some components through for a tight push-fit. In the end I ended up using a rounded file to sort it, but it was slow work.

I've got the cheap rasp set now, but not had a chance to use it. I needed something that would make quick work when I drill lots of holes, as the hole saws don't give quite the right fit and only needs a very slight widening.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now you've got them have a play on some scrap.

My gut feel is that they'll be hard to control and a bit aggressive, and that for removing less than 250 microns from 6mm ply and ending up with a precise interference fit a hand tool has gotta be the way to go.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect you may be right, but I don't mind so much when prototyping as long as it's a good fit. I'll report back in a few weeks once I've done the next panel :D.

Ask a Question