Garage GFCI shows 30 Vac Open Grd Neu...?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys,

I need your help. Yesterday I noticed my electric door garage would not open. I checked the main GFCI in the garage using a Klein Tools GFCI tester and it read "30 Vac Open Grd Neu". Which I believe it means it is only pulling 30 volts and there is an open ground somewhere. Unfortunately, the reset button on the GFCI will not allow me to test it. It appears to be stuck. I believe this is a normal function if there is an open ground neutral wire. I performed the following steps,
  • Replaced the GFCI receptacle and tested it but got the same reading "30 Vac Open Grd Neu".
  • I checked the breaker using a volt meter. It read 120 volts which is good.
  • I checked every impacted outlet using the same Klein Tools GFCI testers beginning with the one closest to the breaker panel. Unlike the initial GFCI tested, all the outlets showed, "30 Vac Hot/Grd Rev". (I believe a loose ground will also cause this, please correct me if I am wrong)
  • Lastly, I opened every outlet receptical including light switches and verified that all the wires including the ground was tightly screwed to the receptical.
I do not know what else to check. I welcome any advice. I called an electrician, unfortunately the earliest appointment available is next week.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Country
United States
As a follow up, I used a volt meter to measure volts on the side terminals. The GFCI was reading about 24.4 volts all other outlets were reading as 0.03 volts. I already checked that all the wires were tightly screwed to the GFCI and outlets. Im stumped.

Ask a Question