Gap filler for outdoor table

Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping for some advice.

I’ve made an outdoor table with a cast iron base, and some porcelain pavers I had left over for the top, with a hard wood trim round the edge.

I’ve used grout for the gaps between the pavers and between pavers and wood trim and I’m planning to put a sealer over the top, but after just a couple of days a gap has formed between the wood trim and the grout.

I’ve been looking for an alternative to the grout, like a mould resistant caulk or silicone, hopefully in grey, but haven’t found anything.

I’m really pleased how it’s turned out but I want to get the finish right to make sure it lasts. It will have to stay outdoors all year as I don’t have room to store it and it’s too heavy to move. I think I’ll invest in a decent cover for winter.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if Sikaflex EBT would work here:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-sikaflex-ebt-all-weather-sealant-grey-300ml/79250

It comes in grey and is a sealant, filler & adhesive combo. Funnily enough, I used a tube today for the first time as a way to give a flexible seal between pond coping stones (where mortar always fails).

It's not mould resistant, so I can't comment on how it'll hold up in that aspect.

Reaction score
In the US most better hardware stores have one or more brands of thin "self-leveling" gray colored caulking meant for horizontal concrete repair & sealing that should work for this.

I'd have done the entire thing with it instead of grout because it seems like an open bottom tabletop will eventually flex enough (if not exposure to the elements) to make all of the grout crack.

Ask a Question