Galvanic Bath (Electric Bath/Stanger Bath/Denki Buro)

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I know this will sound insane, but bear with me.

I am interested in making a safe DIY Galvanic Bath (aka stanger bath or denki buro). They can be found at some spas in Europe or Japan, but they're practically unheard of in North America.

This isn't a "detox" thing, I know those detox foot baths are BS. But they are a proof of concept that you can put your body in water with an electric current safely.

The purpose of this is because I have a problem with sweating (Hyperhidrosis). There is a treatment known as iontophoresis, which involves applying an electric current through water to the area that you sweat. I've been using an iontophoresis machine for a while, which has worked well, but they don't treat your whole body efficiently.

When I searched online for a solution I discovered galvanic baths, which are essentially whole-body iontophoresis machines. They use direct current (like iontophoresis), and metal plates on the sides.

I already have metal plates, but I don't know how to make a safe power supply. I've tried just connecting my iontophoresis machine, but it has a feature that limits the voltage based on resistance. To be effective iontophoresis needs to be around 20v DC, and the galvanic baths advertise they go up to 24v.

Is it possible to create my own galvanic bath using my existing bath tub, metal plates, and a power supply?

EDIT: There are videos on how to make a DIY iontophoresis machine for hands, such as this

Example of iontophoresis machine:

Example of galvanic bath: http://trautwein-gmbh.com/index.php?en_kombinationsanlagen
The galvanic bath above gives the following specs:

Supply voltage: 24 V AC
Power consumption: 80 W
Output voltage (galv./pulsed current): 0 - 24 V DC /0 - 7 V AC
Output current (galv./pulsed current): 0 - 2 A DC /0 - 300 mA AC

Article (with more pictures and a video): https://interestingengineering.com/electric-baths-creepiest-therapeutic-treatment-ever

It gives the following specs:
Output Frequency - 50Hz to 1kHz
Output Voltage 3 to 10V
Output Current 1 to 10mA

Last edited:

Ask a Question