Downstairs bathroom ceiling paint bubbling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had our downstairs bathroom remodelled about 10 years ago, but had lots of problems with the ceiling paint bubbling.
About 5 years ago we had a decorator redo it professionally but we are now starting to see the bubbling reappear. The attached picture shows the bubbling, this is directly in front of the walk in shower (used 2-3 times daily) and adjacent to the extractor

Due to family issues which I won’t bother you with (and being pretty hopeless at DIY) wanted get some advice as to whether I should sand down the bubbled areas and then cover with emulsion as a temporary fix prior to getting professionally redone in a few months when my situation allows, or whether that will make it harder for the pro to repair and it is better to leave it as it is?

Thanks in advance.
8F047C76-ED20-4554-984C-370750A01E90.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Temp fix possible = yes. Let the bathroom dry out VERY well.

You can sand it, and repaint with emulsion.

Your bubbles/blistering are coming from water vapor (condensation) getting beneath the existing paint, penetrating the plaster/drywall ceiling, and thus compromising the bond of the existing paint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This usually reoccurs years after painting to me, usually can go at least a few years, maybe 5 before returning. Could always pvc the ceiling, it's what I ended up doing

Ask a Question