Ford tractor problems

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello folks. I could use some advice/comments/opinions as I am not a mechanic by any means. To bring you guys up to speed on my problem, I have a 1996 Ford 1715 4-wheel drive compact tractor. He has a bucket in front and a small digger in the back. I believe he delivers 27 hp to th pto. I have owned this feller for about 20 years with no issues what-so-ever other than normal maintenance. He is very adequate for our needs around our place.
The problem: The gears started to "grind" the last year or two when changing from one gear to another. I figured the clutch was somewhat out of adjustment and I would adjust before using him next time. Well next time never came as I had a heart attack that vastly slowed me down. At any rate, last week I was moving a log the son-in-law had cut to try and move out of the pathway. I moved the log OK. I started back to the barn and when I let off the clutch, I heard a LOUD boom, almost shook the whole tractor. Now the tractor will not move in ANY gear, nor does the 4-wheel drive work. The bucket, digger and all hydraulics work fine. At first I thought maybe I lost the transmission. After sleeping on this, I think maybe the clutch may be the problem. I have no way of breaking the tractor into to find out if this is correct or not. And I am by no means a mechanic. This is way over my head! I will have to load him on a trailer and pull him some 30 miles to a dealer that will work on Fords. (Our local dealer now deals and services only Kubotas now). Your thoughts please. Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Btw, he has 1008 hours on the meter.
Thanks

Reaction score
Most likely the clutch plate let go. DON’T try to drive it. You can score the flywheel and add more cost to the repair. The 1715 is too large for a DIYer to break apart safely.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you are recovering from your heart attack. Let us know what you do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Silentrunning for your kind reply! My cousin recommended a shop that is set up to break the tractor apart. He speaks highly of this shop and I have confidence in him. We will see... I will let you know how it things turn out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I promised to let you know about my tractor when I knew. Boy, am I red faced. The range selector lever is located on the left side of the tractor next to the fender. As it turns out, I must have hit the lever with my knee while exiting the tractor or turning around in the seat to look behind while working. At any rate, the shop thinks that maybe the selector was engaged just enough to work and then I bumped it with my left knee enough to move it between gears. Nothing like "bought" experience! Dollar wise, it could have been a whole lot worse! Thank you Silentrunning for your response.

Ask a Question