1985 Ford E350 Air Conditioner clogged Condenser

Reaction score
We have a 1985 Ford E350 Van Chassis with a Horton Ambulance Box. We purchased it so my Wife could be transported to appointments without calling a real Ambulance for $1,000. Everything is going well on the modifications except for the Air Conditioner. It has a dual system with the typical Cab and a Wall mounted Ambulance Compartment unit. The Condenser is clogged with thick, burned, oil from a previous Compressor failure. The Receiver - Dryer was also clogged with the same gunk. I tried to locate a new Condenser to no avail.
The High side of the Compressor goes right to the Gauge Connection Tap, through what appears to be a form of Slip Connection, a Soldered Connection, then to the top of the Condenser. Can anyone identify and confirm that the pictured item is a Slip Connection and if so, how is it released. It appears to be leaking so I assume there are O-rings inside that need to be changed.
I want to disconnect the Condenser and flush to get the System going again.

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi Jimo,
Yes indeed that is the old style coupler that Ford used for a long time:
They were very prone to leakage even on newish vehicles.
On a vehicle that age, the O-Ring/s within will be well past its/their sell-by date!
To uncouple the connector you need a small plastic tool, red for the high side, blue for the low side.
The tool is very simple, as you can see in the photos attached, but without it, well, it is nigh-on impossible to disconnect them without causing serious damage. (No doubt someone will correct me....but my experience of working on the Ford systems is limited.)
(Also pictured is the system Ford uses now...as on my "Escape".)

Must have been a serious compressor failure to cause that amount of residue in the system.
But then, the older compressors had a lot more oil in them compared with the modern comps.

Good luck with the project..... Hope the health of your wife improves.
P.S: What is that you are pictured with? IMG_4151.JPG IMG_4153.JPG IMG_4151.JPG IMG_4153.JPG IMG_4155.JPG IMG_4151.JPG IMG_4153.JPG IMG_4155.JPG ....looks interesting

Reaction score
Hi Jimo,
Yes indeed that is the old style coupler that Ford used for a long time:
They were very prone to leakage even on newish vehicles.
On a vehicle that age, the O-Ring/s within will be well past its/their sell-by date!
To uncouple the connector you need a small plastic tool, red for the high side, blue for the low side.
The tool is very simple, as you can see in the photos attached, but without it, well, it is nigh-on impossible to disconnect them without causing serious damage. (No doubt someone will correct me....but my experience of working on the Ford systems is limited.)
(Also pictured is the system Ford uses now...as on my "Escape".)

Must have been a serious compressor failure to cause that amount of residue in the system.
But then, the older compressors had a lot more oil in them compared with the modern comps.

Good luck with the project..... Hope the health of your wife improves.
P.S: What is that you are pictured with?View attachment 1041 View attachment 1042 View attachment 1041 View attachment 1042 View attachment 1043 View attachment 1041 View attachment 1042 View attachment 1043 ....looks interesting
My wife and I own a small manufacturing company (this is our 11th year) that builds custom Railroad Locomotive Load Boxes or Locomotive Dynos. That particular one is large enough to dissipate up to 6,000 Horsepower. Here's a picture showing it picked up by a Semi Wrecker so it can be placed in Sea Container for shipment.

Attachments

Reaction score
Not Aware of this!
I think Ford E350 Air Conditioner is an old system. Is it still in vogue? Do people use this?

Reaction score
It's a good time for an update. I purchased the Compression Fitting Release tool but was unable to separate the two halves. So I removed the high side connection plate and made an adapter plate and used a Commercial Pressurized Flush with Hose Can. It worked great and the Condenser is now clean. I changed out the Receiver / Dryer and the Cab Expansion Valve. The Compartment Expansion Valve and Evaporator is next. I found that the Factory Installed Low Side Bullet Piercing Valve was either clogged or the Tip broken off. There was enough room so I purchased a new Bullet Valve and it installed correctly and pierced the Aluminum Piping. Once I had a working Port, I found that I could apply compressed air (20 PSI) into the Low Side but it wouldn't come out of the disconnected Low Side Compressor Hose. So the next project is to isolate and Flush both Evaporators (Cab and Compartment). I will then evacuate and charge the system. As a foot note, after I had given up on finding a new Condenser, I got a call that a local Auto Parts store had actually located a new one. Yes, I purchased it and will leave it in the box for now. Who knows what could come next. I'm thinking about installing a Pressure Switch for the Compressor. As it is now, the Compressor will run with nothing in the system. It may seem odd to try to fix up a 1985 E350 Ford Van. It is actually a Horton Ambulance with 55,000 Miles. I'm converting it to fit my disabled wife's needs. The E350 Ambulances are open between the Cab and the Ambulance compartment. If you get a Pickup based Ambulance, you must get out of the Cab, walk around to the side or the back and enter the Ambulance compartment. You would also need some for of communication system.

Ask a Question