Finishing off fireplace opening

Reaction score
Despite being a single mum to three young boys I thought it'd be a fantastic idea to knock through the plasterboard and open up the opening to my fireplace, and I just want to get it finished. (Great anger management, knocking holes in the wall, by the way)

The house was built in 1881 so it's your regular Victorian fireplace that was blocked up.

I've found the lintel (which is intact) and removed all the rubble, but am unsure how to finish off around it, where I pulled off enough plaster to find the sides/top of the opening. The actual brick is recessed by about an inch from the plasterboard, in some places. So I can't just plaster straight onto the brick, unless I can do it in layers until I get to the wall level. I can't afford a fire surround.

It's not going to be used as a working fireplace. I just did it because I couldn't bear to see a plain wall.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Ask a Question