electrical consumer unit

Reaction score
Hi In the last couple of days had the RCB trip that protects the side of the board that covers my sockets ring main etc, but none of the individual MCBs on this side of the board have tripped. Tested all sockets using a power tool everything seems to work ok cannot get anything to trip even under heavy load. Should any fault also trip the individual MCB as well as the main RCD? Thanks for looking

Reaction score
Hi joando
There are many things that can cause a RCD to trip. Putting it simply, it works by sensing a balance between line and neutral. Any leakage to earth from either will trip it.

An MCB is an over current device, and will trip in the case of a short for instance.

I asume you are using a plug in tester, this will not help to locate this type of fault. I can only suggest that you bear in mind that it could be a neutral fault, so switching off an appliance to locate the problem is no good, it must be disconnected.

Best of luck - a time consuming job without the correct test equipment, and please don't take any chances - safety first !

Reaction score
consumer unit

Thanks for that John Kay will get it tested properly

regards joando

Ask a Question