Basic electrical question

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I am trying to build myself a little coffee roaster using a DC motor and a speed regulator. The DC motor uses 2.6 A current and 12V to 24V voltage. The speed regulator is 6V 3A. I also use a AC - DC converter to power my DC motor, and this is rated 6V 800mA.

Now the DC motor runs fine ( although too fast) when connected directly to the power. When I add the speed regulator in between to slow it down, it doesn't work at all. I was wondering if the speed regulator isn't working because it is rater 3A but my DC convertor is only rated 800mA? Or maybe I just have a defective speed regulator?

Could someone help me out with this?

Much thanks

Sid

Reaction score
Hello, you may well just have a defective speed controller but if you have a voltmeter you could connect that to the output terminals of the controller as a load and then check what the output voltage does as you regulate the voltage, alternatively, if you don't have a voltmeter to hand you could rig up a lamp-holder which will fit a 6v torch lamp and connect that up to the output of the controller, that will act as a light enough (current wise) load not to upset the AC-DC converter and still show you what the regulated output is (if any)
I hope this helps.

Ask a Question