Ecobee 3 and Carrier Infinity

Reaction score
I have an Ecobee 3 that I have set up to my Carrier. YES, I found out AFTER THE FACT that Infinity's are communicating furnaces but had I known I was going to have to buy a $699 thermostat to "maximize" its benefit, I wouldn't have bought this high end a furnace. Regardless....my system is simple. No AC, no heat pump, just heat. right now I am using a single stage thermostat that was not replaced with the carrier guy put it in (why he didn't recommend a multiple stage thermostat alludes me.)

I plug in everything as expected as follows:

T Furnace
W2-->W2
C--->Com

Adjusted the dip switches per recommendations.

When I do this I get constant, steady clicking but the thermostat doesn't light up. If I switch the RH to RC, I get nothing. I've been on the phone with Ecobee and have done all sorts of wire tests and the furnace works fine. There are no blown fuses; there are no loose wires.

So two conclusions: one the thermostat is faulty; the other, the wire is bad.
I replaced the thermostat (Ecobee send me a new one.) I by the way the wires were installed in the wall by a carrier contractor who owned the house before me so I trust he knew what he was doing.

The Infinity is only 5 years old. The C wires have never been used because again, I am using a single stage thermostat with a red jumper wire.

Any ideas about what this could be? I could switch out with another thermostat and would likely have the same problem.

Thank you for your help.

Ask a Question