Earth bonding/water supply query

Reaction score
Good afternoon all -

I've got a problem with my house in that there doesn't seem to be any earth bonding on the mains water supply. British Gas (who we've used for their homecare/electrical cover service) have flagged this up as a risk (with one of their pink sheets) and we've already had an electrician round to look at some other issues that became evident once we'd moved into the house (about 11 months ago).

He sorted all of these fine but the problem with the water is that the incoming supply pipe is on one side of the house and the mains unit is on the other. The general consensus at the time (both from the electrician and the British Gas electricians) was that whilst this is a risk, it's a "million to one" risk and short of lifting up all of the flooring potentially resulting in it needing to be re-done, it's liveable with. I'm not altogether happy with this situation and am wondering if there's any other solutions that we could consider - e.g. could we ask the electrician to put in the bonding on the outside of the house and run it round to the kitchen that way?

I'm really not sure which way to go with this and so would welcome some advice. I'm certainly not DIY-competent and wouldn't be looking to try anything myself - but it would be useful to have some ideas that I could then throw around with the electrician when I next speak to him.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Ask a Question